? ??????????????Getting Married? ????? ?? ???Rating: 3.9 (87 Ratings)??0 Grabs Today. 13620 Total Grabs. ?
?????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????????????????????????????Wedding? ????? ?? ???Rating: 3.4 (69 Ratings)??0 Grabs Today. 7449 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Friday, October 10, 2008

BECOMING ONE

You shall fear the Lord your God and you shall serve him, and you shall keep close to him and you shall swear by his name. Deuteronomy 10:20

Keep Close – Moses instructs the people to keep close to HaShem. How close? Inquiring minds want to know. Once you see the Hebrew word here, the picture becomes clear. The word is davaq. You will find it in Genesis 2:24. How close does God want you to be to Him? As close as a husband is to his wife. God wants you to cling to him as tightly as if you were married.

In case you haven’t already considered the imagery, the biblical view of our relationship to God is frequently cast in terms of marriage. Why? Marriage is the divinely ordained pinnacle of human relationship. It is the deliberate decision to turn myself over to another, to reveal my deepest sense of identity and purpose to someone who accepts the responsibility of person-care. It is the practice field for understanding and experiencing my divine relationship with God.

Of course, that means that God uses marriage to prune me. He establishes the covenant of marriage as a means of confronting me with my self in order that I may become myself. My mate is my perfect enemy, the one who will not let me escape into denial, run away to fantasy, refuse to confront failure or lash out in anger. In God’s plan, my mate is me in another form. If the two of us are to become one, I will have to look pretty hard at myself in order to bond with another. There is a hard edge to marriage that I can’t avoid. That’s why it’s supposed to be a life-long commitment. It will probably take that long for me to get my rough edges smoothed.

Fortunately, by divine decree and heavenly engineering, there is the other side of this arrangement. There is joy, peace and companionship. There is discovering who I am in the love of another. That is also a picture of clinging to God.

The difference between marriage and my relationship to God is only this: God manages His side of the relationship perfectly. He provides perfect peace, unrelenting love and eternal faithfulness. He also never enables, never stops reminding me of the faults I must confront and never forgets to push me toward conformity to His Son. My relationship to my spouse may sometimes falter, sometimes be side-tracked, sometimes hit a wall, because we are both sinners. But my relationship with God never collapses because of Him. The more that I cling to Him, the more He will lead me toward myself. The more I become what He designed me to be, the more my life will reflect Who He is. God is glorified in me when I am stuck on Him. The more I want companionship, peace and joy, the more I have to let my spouse (and God!) tear me apart. In marriage, both aspects come together.

Moses tells the people, “Keep close to Him.” He uses marriage imagery on purpose. If you thought of God as your spouse, how might that change you? If you don’t think of God as your spouse, what does that say about how you behave toward Him?

12 comments:

Chukbyke.Okey,C. said...

ooh. A lot of things packed in one!!
I will read it again to get it all right.
Too early now...Good morning from Rome.

olusimeon said...

this is solid stuff...we sometimes forget that God needs us to show Him love like we show some people in our lives...thanmks for sharing..
peace..

Lady A said...

@Chukbyke, repetition is the key. Now you may help others with this revelation.
@Simeone, so right, so true and God honors us when we show Him love by not just saying it, but actually living it out towards others.

Remi, United Kingdom said...

I like this... Thank you. Well Jesus is the soon coming groom, so we must show sometimes that we are capable of loving, by keeping close to God as the skin on our bones! I think of God as my husband, my lover, my life, I even call him honey! lol.. well until he sends the man, I got to perfect the act of loving with the definition of love himself! :-))))

Thanks for sharing. Have an awesome week ahead.

Jennifer A. said...

On Saturday I was discussing with friends on a road-trip, of how the essence of our relationships can be learned by just being intimate with God...

If we have a loving intimate relationship with God, then we will understand how to act in a marriage, just as Ephesians 5 tells us...

"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord...Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church..."

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that girl...I am so glad that I am following your blog. Every once in awhile I need that word of encouragement with my day to day doings...and here is where its so inspirational....


Keeping God within all you do daily is best, I know!

LG said...

nuff said'
*dearie how u?

aloted said...

WORD!!!

I need to follow this particular blog more ....full of word for the season!

Lady A said...

@Remi, AMEN! And you too have a wonderful week.
@Jaycee, don't you just love confirmation.
@Kin'shar, we all need a word of encouragement, especially in these times. Just seek Him diligently, because the Lord has your reward and it is untarnishable.
@LG, I'm good..how's everything on your end?
@Aloted, we all need pure WORD, heheee, AMEN!

Anonymous said...

needed to come back and read it again....im looking to make this happen one day



howa u girl?

Rita said...

As usual, all your posts are in season...

Thanks for your comment on my blog...it was one full of wisdom “How can we take authority over the devil when we can't even take authority over the dirty dishes!”

I used this blog as a related link to my blog. Hope you don’t mind.

Okey.Chukbyke C. said...

Hope you are ok?